Monday, March 17, 2008

Fashion and oppression

Love for clothes, jewelery, makeup is generally relegated to the female sex in most societies.
Girls, not boys, love dolls, dress up and play house.
Men usually belittle shopping, vanity, fashion.
It is a common definition by society that such pursuits are deemed frivolous and motivated by women's need to appeal to men.
And so having women obsess with dresses, hairdos and other self-adornment is to see women exactly where society wants to put them.
That's why girls do cute things.
Makeup isn't war face-paint.
A fashion plate isn't a plate of armor.
Sex appeal isn't territoriality.
The quest for beauty has turned into commercialized consumer marketing to push products for profit.
And the victims are women, who have been taught by their upbringing to seek the material goods that make them attractive/desirable/acceptable, the right dress, the right makeup, the right shoes.
When did the love for pretty things become so twisted?
Fashion should be a form of wearable art, fabric sculpted into a message, a way of self-expression.
Why do we need to feel that we cannot be free unless we wear no makeup and walk around in power suits and view fashion as a man would?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Yuri Kageyama said...

Hey, thanks.
I write about technology as part of my job.
This is the story from today

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20080319-0325-japan-toshiba.html

Unknown said...

yuri,
this is indeed one brilliant article.
I guess what matters is self confidence.
Have a nice day.

Yuri Kageyama said...

Thanks.
You are way too kind.
I wish I could be confident.

Yuri Kageyama said...

Thanks.
You are way too kind.
I wish I could be confident.